Wednesday 23 September 2015

I COULD HAVE BEEN A CHILD by Sharon Ogechi Anyaegbu

Don't take my childhood away from me
Those tiny little steps of stray
Building sand castles, playing girl tangles
Dancing in the rain and faking fantasy games
The fun in birthdays, recitals and proms
The joy beneath restrain of my steps to stardom

Don't take my childhood away from me
They had it all, so many toys
Trains, cars, sand dunes and dolls
Walking barefoot and licking Ripe fruits
Ridding ponies and roller coasters
While every dull moment is triggered by reproach

Don't take my childhood away from me
I see them play, i hear them say
Starring so strangely, with face well lit
'She's new to this playground; don't think i ever saw her here'
Tears running from glowing eyes, she couldn't stop pondering
Is it possible to press replay as depressions are deepening

I could have been a child while there was still time
But time denied the chance and growth became my pride
Surprisingly, 'She's all grown now; we did our best', they say
It all shows now: the lack in her portrayed
Please don't take my childhood away from me
For when you do, you steal this life away from me

Sharon#GegeInspired
(c)2015
Tm.

2 comments:

  1. Children are tomorrow's future. Do all you can save a child; for when you do, you ensure a bright future...

    #InTheInterestOfTheChild
    #SaveAchildForFuture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know who drew this? I would like to get in contact with them please. :)

    ReplyDelete